MISSAL OF JAN DE BROEDERE
In Latin, illuminated manuscript on parchment
Belgium, Geraardsbergen or Grammont, c. 1510-1520? certainly after 1506
5 large miniatures, 1 full page 4 historiated initials and illuminated borders by the Masters of Raphael de Mercatellis
This codex has recently been identified as the missing first volume of a majestic Missal written and illuminated for Jan de Broedere, of which the second volume is in Glasgow. The Glasgow volume is more sparsely illuminated and does not include the arms of the famous patron, abbot of Geraardsbergen in eastern Flanders, where a series of important illuminated manuscripts were produced from the twelfth century onward. New research further identifies the artists (the Masters of Raphael de Mercatellis) as those who worked for Raphael de Mercatellis, bastard son of Duke Philip of Burgundy and abbot of St. Bavo’s in nearby Ghent. The fortuitous discovery of one full-page miniature, the Crucifixion, and another large miniature, the Trinity, and the reassembly of the manuscript with these two important miniatures greatly enhances the volume while returning it to close to its original appearance. With its distinguished provenance, and considerable historical and art-historical interest, the present manuscript can now be reintegrated into a history of Ghent-Bruges manuscript illumination.