WILLIAM OF AUVERGNE
In Latin, illuminated manuscript on paper.
Northern Italy, c. 1440-60, and Rome, c. 1470-8
This is a remarkably handsome large-format copy of one of William of Auvergne’s most significant works, distinguished by its extraordinary illumination of the spheres of the universe. It was owned by (and possibly written for), a member of the Papal curia, active in humanist circles in Rome. Known in forty-five manuscripts (none in the U.S.), this is the only copy in private hands. Copies of this text (still lacking a critical edition) are rarely available (two sales of manuscripts other than the present one are recorded in Schoenberg Database, 1947 and 1910).