DIAMOND CLUSTER RING
Spain, c. 1660-1680
Gold, diamonds, enamel
Weight 5.3 gr.; circumference 57.15 mm., US size 8, UK size Q
Pliny, the Roman Naturalist and author of “Natural History” wrote in the first century AD “The diamond is the most valuable, not only of precious stones, but of all things in this world.” Through its history the diamond was admired for its extreme hardness and translucency. By the fifteenth century the earliest known betrothal or wedding rings with this gemstone became known and soon fashionable. Gold ring with D-section hoop, plain on the interior and on the exterior engraved and enameled (only traces survive of black enamel) with swirling acanthus scrolls on the shoulders. The bezel with central oval setting and scalloped border holds a rose-cut diamond and flanked on either side are three diamond-set floral style settings. Black enamel arcading ornament the bezel sides. The enamel is in parts missing due to age and wear; the ring is in good wearable condition.