This ornate leaf comes from a Missal made in Perugia, one of the most important centers of book illumination in fourteenth-century Italy. Saint Andrew is shown standing with a cruciform staff on a blue ground with white filigree inside an initial ‘Q.’ Long tendrils with sprays of multicolored foliates and gold leaf spread around the borders, with one section in the right border gilded but unfinished, revealing the preparatory drawing. The leaf contains rubrics and text for the feast of the vigil of Saints Andrew and Saturninus (November 29).
In 2003 Marina Subbioni named our artist the Maestro dei fogli Hindman (Master of the Hindman Leaves) based on two sister leaves published by Les Enluminures. A recent assessment of this group by Gaudenz Freuler emphasizes the ambit of the Perugian workshop and its affinities to Umbrian painters in the early fourteenth century, including the so-called Maestro Espressivo di Santa Chiara and the painters of the Lower Church of San Francesco in Assisi, including Simone Martini (Freuler 2018, no. 49, pp. 157-161). Notably, the workshop responsible for the parent manuscript took form in the two decades immediately preceding the first record, in 1346, of organized workshops on the “via dei Cartolari” in Perugia (Welch 2015, p. 105).
Recently published and formerly part of the McCarthy Collection in London, the present leaf is one of at least ten thought come from a Missal at the Biblioteca del Sacro Convento in Assisi, MS 267. The Missal was originally made for Augustinian use, as inscribed on an opening folio (f. 5). Various leaves were excised in the eighteenth century, the present leaf included (see Freuler 2018; Assirelli and Sesti 1990). Leaves from two other Umbrian Missals have been confused over time; one Missal was owned by Otto Ege and was dismembered in 1941, possibly by Philip Duschnes, who dated the single leaves to 1353 in his Catalogue 48 (1941), no. 39 (see also S. de Ricci, Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada, v. 2, 1937, p. 1947; S. Gwara, Otto Ege’s Manuscripts, 2013, handlist no. 122; and M. Ferrari and R. Rouse, Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts at the University of California, Los Angeles, Berkeley, 1991, no. 2/XIV/ITA/15, p. 135).
The leaf written in Latin in a Gothic bookhand on 26 lines in two columns (justification 230 x 166 mm.), with the numbers “18” written in faded red ink and “5” in pencil on the recto and “39” in pencil on the verso. The miniature with some abrasions to the figure and ground, the parchment leaf cut unevenly, with cockling and dampstaining.
Selected Sister Leaves:
The Finding of the True Cross (formerly Les Enluminures, Catalogue 1, 1992, no. 3);
St. John the Evangelist (formerly Les Enluminures, BEL, 1996, no. 5);
Sts. Simon and Jude (formerly Friedrich G. Zeileis collection, Austria, sold Zurich, Galerie Koller, 18 September 2015, lot 112);
The Resurrected Christ (formerly Dr. Jörn Günther, Catalogue 6, 2002);
St. Lucy and St. Nicholas (London, McCarthy Collection, inv. no. BM 1458);
For additional leaves, see G. Freuler, The McCarthy Collection, vol. 1, 2018, no. 49.
1. Probably from the Missal MS 267 at the Biblioteca del Sacro Convento in Assisi, initially made for Augustinian use in Perugia;
2. From an album reportedly sold from the collection of the Princes of Liechtenstein in 1871;
3. Dr. Jörn Günter Antiquariat, Hamburg, Catalogue 6 (2002), no. 17d (ill.);
4. McCarthy Collection, London (inv. no. BM 1455; Freuler 2018, no. 49), sold London, Sotheby’s, 6 December 2016, lot 3.
Francesco d’Assisi. Documenti e Archivi Codici e Biblioteche Miniature, Milan, 1982, no. 128, pp. 378-379 (for the parent manuscript Missal, MS 267)
M. Assirelli and E. Sesti, eds., La Biblioteca del Sacro Convento di Assisi: I libri miniati del XIII e del XIV secolo, Assisi, 1990.
M. Subbioni, La miniatura Perugina del Trecento, Perugia, 2003, vol. 1, p. 50, figs. 29-30.
A. Welch, Liturgy, Books and Franciscan Identity in Medieval Umbria, Leiden and Boston, 2015.
G. Freuler, with G. Parpulov. The McCarthy Collection, vol. 1, Italian and Byzantine Miniatures, London, 2018, no. 49, fig. 49.1.